701 W. Market Street
Phone: 215-453-7653 1174
< Back to My Blog
May 23, 2016 12:57 am
The answer is yes!
Homeowners incur several expenses each month. By taking a few low- or no-cost precautions, security doesn’t have to be one of them:
• When preparing to travel, don’t be too obvious with luggage. Load the car inside the garage, if possible, or load up quickly, at the very least. If you have a second car, leave it parked in the driveway.
• Don't announce your absence on social media.
• Keep window coverings in their normal, semi-open positions—just be sure nothing valuable is visible through the windows.
• Hide your valuables in a small, fireproof safe securely attached to the floor, the wall or another structure that can’t be carried out of the house.
• Put lights, and even television sets, on timers, and place your mail and newspapers on hold, or ask the neighbors to pick them up.
• Consider replacing any short screws that typically come with lock hardware with longer ones that will extend past the door jambs into the frame of the house.
• Don't leave ladders or tools outside—criminals could "borrow" them to gain access to the home.
• Let your neighbors know you'll be gone, and for how long, or hire a house sitter. If your neighbor will be watching the home, ask him or her to walk around your property each day.
Beyond these measures, some law enforcement officials also recommend purchasing inexpensive security decals or signage, or even a fake security camera, to ward off burglars. Even a “Beware of Dog” sign can be a deterrent!
Published with permission from RISMedia.
Copyright© 2017 by eWebEngine - A Division of Lone Wolf Real Estate Technologies
Each RE/MAX office is independently owned and operated
RE/MAX 440, PA